Lively Hope, Topsham, Devon
Location and travel
location of The Lively Hope
How to reach Topsham by road:
Travelling southbound on the M5
- Exit Junction 30.
- Take first exit off the roundabout (direction Sidmouth/Exmouth)
- After about a mile at Clyst St Mary roundabout turn right.
- Continue straight at next roundabout.
- At George & Dragon rounabout, turn right.
- Go past Darts Farm, over the bridge and past the Bridge Inn
- At next roundabout turn left, and cross the level crossing.
- Immediately turn left and follow this road to Topsham quay.
- Turn right at mini-roundabout.
- Almost immediately, turn left into Ferry Road opposite the Galley
- The Lively Hope is two houses down on the left.
Travelling northbound on the M5:
- Exit at Junction 30 (Exeter Services)
- Take fourth exit (direction ‘Sidmouth/Exmouth’.
(Follow instructions as above from this point).
Street parking for the Lively Hope is on the road
(by Trout’s Boatyard), on Topsham Quay (paying), or along
Holman Way. You can usually unload in front of The Lively Hope for
a short period, though be prepared to move the vehicle if traffic
needs to pass.
Topsham is on the main Exeter-Exmouth bus route (service
57, which also stops at Topsham railway station). The ‘T’
bus service leaves from Topsham Quay (1 minute from The Lively Hope)
Topsham is on the Exeter-Exmouth railway line, with
occasional through trains to Paignton and North Devon. Mainline
trains stop at Exeter St Davids and Exeter Central with frequent
connections to Topsham.
Exeter Airport is about 15 minutes drive from Topsham.
The Sea Dream ferry service runs in summer months
from Topsham (Trout’s Boatyard) to the Turf Hotel public house,
a fine waterside destination. The boat trip down the Exe takes about
There is also a small ferry that runs from near the
Passage Inn to the other side of the Exe - from here you can walk
along the canal to Exminster, down canal to the Turf Inn, or up
to the Double Locks pub.